Warm & Well
The Warm & Well in Merton campaign is raising awareness of the importance of staying well in colder weather and giving you support on how best to stay warm and well.
Warm & Well in Merton is a partnership between Wimbledon Guild, Merton Council, Age UK Merton and Thinking Works. We are on hand to provide you with free, confidential advice on transport, benefits, debt and housing support.
We can help you with:
Staying well this winter
Winter is often a difficult time of year, with more hospital admissions and falls. This winter we also have the added complications of COVID-19, more colds and flu circulating and energy prices rising. Many of us are also spending more time indoors. As a result, this winter it is even more important to take extra care to stay healthy and keep ourselves and our homes warm.
When the cold weather hits…
It’s really important to look after yourself and stay warm. Exposure to extreme cold, even for a short time, can raise your blood pressure, putting you at risk of a heart attack or stroke.
Make sure you:
- Wear lots of thin layers of clothing, which keep you cosy by trapping warm air between them.
- Put your feet up - as the air is colder at ground level. Wrap up in a blanket with plenty of hot drinks! A hot water bottle is also a good way to keep warm
- Choose boots with non-slip soles and a warm lining, or wear thermal socks when you’re out and about.
- If feeling unwell with a cold or minor health condition, visit your local pharmacy to see if they can help. Or have a few cold or sore throat remedies in the home ready in case you feel unwell.
- Ask a friend or relative to collect prescriptions or supplies if you are unable to get out.
- Ask your family or friends if they could contact you more often in a period of cold weather.
Click on the pictures below for more information on staying well this winter:
Find out below what action you should take depending on the temperature: